Singapore Airlines has been named this year’s ‘World’s Best Airline’ in Skytrax’s World Airline Awards. SIA also took the top spot in the ‘World’s Best First Class’, ‘Best Airline in Asia’ and ‘Best First Class Airline Seat’ categories in the 2018 rankings.
This is the fourth time SIA has been named ‘World’s Best Airline’. The awards are based on surveys of more than 20 million travellers, who rated more than 335 airlines between August 2017 and May 2018.
Source: Travelinc Memo 31 Aug 18.submitted by -- Tony Terrill
From the volcanic slopes of Haleakala, to the luxury resorts of Kaanapali, “The Valley Isle” blends the charm of the past with modern-day-excitement.
Haleakala National Park is home to Maui’s highest peak of the same name. Haleakala means,“house of the sun.” Visitors flock to the park to see the magnificent not-to-be-missed sunrise. Hiking above the clouds and horseback riding are among the experiences you can enjoy here.
Maui has some of the best whale watching in the world. Whale-watching season is in full swing from early November until mid-May and the island’s south and west shores are some of the best spots for sightings. You can get an even better view on a guided boat tour.
Or if you’d rather soak up the sun on the sand, Maui has more than 80 pristine beaches with a combined shoreline spanning 120 miles.
Alka’s Maui Top Tip’s
Alka Thapar of Hawaiian Airlines recently visited Maui, world-famous, boasting sparkling white sands, gorgeous hiking trails and spontaneous adventure.
1. When flying into Kahului Airport (OGG), Maverick Helicopters are based next to airport and I highly recommend a helicopter ride over Maui and Molokai. Fantastic experience flying over cliff tops, waterfalls, seeing mantarays and giant turtles in the ocean and my favourite is hovering over a small island that from above, looks like an elephant lying down.
2. A visit to Pa’ia Town offers great restaurants, interesting shops, and the best natural food store on the island. You will find old-west style building facades painted in a patchwork of pastel colors as you pull into Paia and, at first impression, the small T-shaped stretch of quaint shops and restaurants is reminiscent of a funky 60’s California beach town.
3. Maui Tropical Plantation is home to The Mill House, innovative farm to table dining, using only the highest quality ingredients, carefully selected within the plantation’s grounds. The food is delicious and prepared by a local, young award winning chef.
4. One of my other highlights was a sunset cruise off Lahaina on Trilogy Catamaran adventures. The crew were friendly, welcoming and the food on board was served up as if we were in a quaint restaurant. The “heavy pupu’s” (appetizers) were all prepared and served to us by the crew on board. The sunset spectacular, while sailing on a calm sea, warm wind and glass of bubbles in hand. My little bit of heaven.
5. Ho‘okipa Beach, on the North Shore of Maui, offers a scenic windsurfing beach. Lovely, picturesque area offering a white sand beach, sea turtles on the shore in the evening and windsurfing. Perhaps the most renowned windsurfing site in the world.
Ask your Mondo Travel Specialist about finalising your plans to visit Maui!
submitted by -- Gayle
Are you thinking of going to Thailand, Asia or Europe with Thai Airways?
If you are paying an Economy Class airfare, on Thai Airways, you can access either the Miracle Business or Miracle First Class Lounge at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport from just NZ$30* per person (and under 6 year olds are FREE).
A 2 hour Pass will provide access to the Lounge where you can enjoy a wide range of gourmet refreshments, hot food, alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, reading material and Wi-Fi.
This special offer is available until 31 March 2019 - and only if you are flying with Thai Airways.
A Mondo Travel Specialist can make the arrangements for you.
* $30 for the Miracle Business Class Lounge - the Miracle First Class Lounge is from $40.
submitted by -- Tony Terrill